Sunday, 11 August 2013

crap! forgot to take a picture...

I whipped up a hat this week - the son of some dear cottage friends is off to Arizona - he got himself a scholarship to play hockey for the University of Arizona, and we're all very proud of him, He's worked hard for this.
They're all leaving Monday morning to get him settled, and Wil was leaving the cottage on Saturday to get stuff ready, so of course, I waited until Thursday before I even thought about doing something.
I hit the internet, googled University of Arizona hockey, found the colours, found them in my stash (not even just close, but the exact blue I needed! Yay for a huge stash...) designed the lettering in Excel, and cast on.
Blue, Red and White stripes and lettering, and two days, and I was done. I cast off late Friday night and looked at it, and loved it, but it was missing something.
Canadians are divided on this, but I"m in the camp that a Canadian Tuque needs a pompom.
 
In Canada, the knit cap is also known as a tuque (English: /ˈtk/; also spelled touque or toque), a word closely related to the French word toque, originally referring to a traditional headwear and now used for type of chef's hat (short for toque blanche, meaning "white hat").
There are many other names for a knit cap (see
"Other names" section below).
Most knit caps are tapered at the top; they sometimes have ear flaps, and may be topped with a
pom-pom (this style of cap is sometimes referred to as a bobble hat, toboggan or sherpa). Knit caps may have a folded brim, or none, and may be worn tightly fitting the head or loose on top, although the latter is considered more standard.
(although I NEVER call it a bobble hat... and for those unfamiliar with the term, it's pronounced "Tooke".)


Anyway, we got to the cottage Saturday (we're staying a week, so we came up in the morning rather than Friday night...) and I saw Wil packing up so I zipped over there to give it to him. Understand that Wil is a 6'3" 19 year old, built like you expect a hockey player to be built. I gave him the standard speech - "you don't have to wear it, you don't have to like it, but if you do like it, but would like it a little different, just let me know - I can change it up. Also, the pompom can be removed..."

Well.

He LOVED it! right down to the pompom! He called it his "touch of Canada that he was bringing to Arizona". He was wearing it as he finished packing his car. His Dad, who is a great friend of ours, also loved it, so it looks like I'm going to have to make another one for him...
Wil mentioned that it might become a hit with the team, so I made sure to mention that while his was a gift, all requests from teammates come with a price tag! I really don't want to become the free knitwear supplier for the UofA hockey team...

I wish I had taken a picture - I've asked Bob to get one of Wil on the campus, if he was sincere and was wearing it. If he does, I'll share it.

It's a beautiful day in the Canadian north. I'm typing this sitting on my deck, overlooking the lake, with a boozy coffee beside me.

Life is Good.



 

 

5 comments :

  1. Bless the boozy coffees. Bless all toques with a pom pom. I bet it is a beautiful toque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky lad! Hockey in Arizona! Who would've thought!
    I'd never heard "bobble hat" until earlier this year, when a woman on a MK forum misspelled it, LOL! I think that's an English term for it.
    They'd be pretty quick to knit up on your LK150 if you do get orders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh... summer bliss...
    Knitting, a lake, and boozy coffee...
    Sign me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer my toques pom-pom free now that I'm getting older. However, I would always ask my mom for pom-poms on my hats ... the bigger the better! Enjoy your week up north ... you just can't beat this weather :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete