Monday, 27 May 2013

what a prize!

A couple of days after the Knitter's Frolic, I got an email from the DKC saying I had won a prize after I left. That's the first upside...
The downside was that in order to claim my prize, I had to pick it up at a DKC meeting - not something that is convenient or easy for me - I'm almost NEVER downtown,,,
The second upside is that I got an email from Susan, telling me that SHE had won a prize from the Frolic as well! As Susan works downtown, she offered to pick up my prize when she got her own. Fortuitous, indeed!
To make life even better, Susan and I combined on a Knit Picks order to get the free shipping, had it all shipped to her place, and she turned it around and sent my stuff to me.
What a great prize! Two balls of Exquisite mulberry silk.merino blend, and a pair of scarf patterns from Fiddlesticks Knitting. If you've never used an Fiddlesticks pattern, and you like knitting lace, you have to get some. they are the best patterns - cleanest charts, never an error, and fantastic to work. These two look complicated, but they are garter stitch scarves, and work up quickly. 
So easy in fact, that I started one. I didn't really need another project right now, but this greyish-lavender is a colour that looks great with Jenny's blonde colouring, and I've seen her wear it often. I figure if I knit something for her, she will recover so she can wear it.
I know that's a silly notion, but I want to believe it. The news slowly gets better - the injury seems to be mostly in the brainstem - a very bad part of the brain to injure, but... normally these injuries are instantly fatal - the fact that is wasn't could mean that the injury isn't as severe as it could have been. There's still a lot of coulds and maybes, but we continue to hope for the best.


6 comments :

  1. I can think of no better recipient than Jenny for such a gorgeous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn and the pattern are both gorgeous. Silly rule to make one go to the meeting. Many who go to the Frolic live way to far away to do that. Previous comment had way too many spelling errors to leave live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your win! Knitting such a beautiful scarf for Jenny sounds like the perfect way to keep your worries in check. I'm glad you're getting little bits of good news on her condition. Take care, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a great way to think of this knitting. Putting all your good thoughts into it is a prayer and a blessing. I'm keeping you, your house and those that you care about in my thoughts still.

    ReplyDelete