Sunday, 17 March 2013

March Break break

I took a bit of break last week - The boy and I were at the cottage for the week (crappy weather, but still a great time - the neighbours were up so there was lots of social time as well as alone time...) and while I was on-line, and reading blogs, some of the people I work with had trouble with the concept of me being on vacation. I knew I would be reading email and taking care of a few things, but some of them blurred the line between me helping with a few things and actually working. It annoyed me, so I stopped looking at my computer as much, so that meant I wasn't in the mood to write blog posts. My boss and I had a conversation about it (He's in Florida this week, so I warned him of the access issue and told him to not look as much as I did.) He knows I will only contact him if an issue arises that he needs to address, otherwise, I can handle things. I will also have a conversation with the two biggest troublemakers at work. These are guys that emailed me about photocopier problems, office coffee issues and the like. I mean, really. If that was my job, fine. I would have given them a primer on how to refill paper, an where the coffee is kept. But that's not what I do! We are a small office, and everyone is expected to be somewhat self-sufficient. These two a-holes think that because I'm female, I should be at their beck and call for things. Yes, dinosaurs like that actually still exist. And yes, I'm extremely annoyed about having to deal with them.
Whatever.
I did get lots of knitting done - my silk Colour Affection is done. My knit/crochet blanket got a lot of work done on it. Some mending was looked after. Some new plans were made. Socks were worked on. All in all a good week. Details and pictures are coming!

8 comments :

  1. People emailed you about copier and coffee problems while you were on vacations??!?!?! I can't even express how ridiculous that is!!! I'm glad that you were able to step away from the computer a bit, even if that meant no blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl. The funny thing is, when you speak to them my guess is it will go right over their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately people like that will never get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once had a coworker whose boss made her come in on her week off because he couldn't find a specific key to open a filing cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get this. Sadly I do, but only from that long ago and far away we both remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once worked for a guy who would call me continuously during my week 'off' and ask the same sort of dumb questions ... so I feel your frustration. I once had to travel back into Toronto the day before my wedding to look for something for him!! Glad you were able to keep your perspective anyway and enjoy your time with family and friends. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even look at the work computer while I'm off. That way I don't have do deal with the stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with the 'don't look a the work email' when on vacation. That's why it's called vacation. What would the office have done pre-email? (I know, I'm a dinosaur) Well, they should do whatever they would have done pre-email. So copier dude would have to read an instruction manual and coffee dude would have to get takeout coffee. Not the end of the world. Gah, empllyers often appear to be using email etc as a leash on their employees......a pet peeve of mine

    ReplyDelete