Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Big Progress (and a Big Project!)

I started the POP blanket a while a go - I loved the colours of Noro, and the construction was brilliant - small squares, very portable and not a huge time commitment. It's perfect for a baby blanket. But I wanted it to be a bigger, regular sized blanket, so I stocked up on Noro and Eco Wool, and went at it. I made great progress, but after a while, as is my wont, I got bored. I knew I would not be able to finish all the squares I wanted, and this large bag of wool was starting to grate on me.
After a big crochet discussion with Susan, we worked out that I could granny square crochet around the knitted squares - making them bigger, and since crochet is so quick - I could actually get a blanket out of thins before my son graduates university (he's just finishing grade eight right now...)
So I started. And I loved how it was looking. I took it to the cottage, and since it was just us there, I could leave it spread out and really get a look at the colours and how they were coming together.

I laid it out on a king size bed and am happy with the size it will end up.

I still have a lot of work, but there's more done that is shown here. ( two more full rows)

And enough squares to do it.

I'm hoping on Easter weekend I can power through more of it.

7 comments :

  1. Very lovely, but quite the daunting project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look! The black makes it retro, but the centres bring it up to date. So the circles and the squares surrounding them are knitted? No wonder it got tedious ... that must've taken an age to get all the centres done. Can't wait to see the end result. Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love it! Look at those beautiful colours. I don't think it's daunting to do the crochet part - you've already done the slower part of the knitted motifs. I can hardly wait until it's done and blocked. It will really come alive. A true heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the combination of crochet and knitting! Very complimentary in this application! How fun to work it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently favved this blanket and in fact Tin Can Knits themselves. Love what they do.

    ReplyDelete