Monday, 21 January 2013

getting ready for a workshop

Our Guild is very big on learning new skills, and we have a wealth of talent within, so we often run workshops taught by members. I was honoured to be asked to show and teach the process of thrumming - whether it be slippers or mittens or anything else.
As the workshop will be at the February meeting, I thought I'd best give myself a bit of a refresher!
 
Of course, thrumming means a great deal of supplies (at least for me - I gathered all my fleece bits, and any mitten-suitable wools that caught my eye...)
For the first one, I decided on this lovely gold Wellington Fibre wool/mohair blend. I wasn't sure I had enough for a mitten, so I made a tiny ribbing just to combat any curling. I will go back and pick up stitches just under this to knit a proper mitten cuff. It's my cheat to ensure I have enough of a wool for what I want to do. (Actually thinking ahead! Who would have thought that of me??)
the added cuff worked out well, but the mitten is not my favourite. I used 4mm needles, and should have gone down a size, It's still very warm, since I used large thrums, so there's very little wind penetration. But, because I used such large thrums (about 4 inches long), this has the look of a boxing glove.
You'll see in this mitt, the thrums are lined up in rows and columns.
The next mitt uses the same weight of wool (Wellington Fibres again!), but in a blue-based multi colour. For this one, I used some white alpaca roving I had around.
 
This mitten is a slimmer version, and a better fit. (I also did the ribbing in the wool itself, now that I know there is enough in each ball)...
I love how the thrums make little hearts!. I still have to add thumbs to these, but I am waiting for the Guild meeting to do so, so I can show how to add in an afterthought thumb.
The final project is some slipper boots. I found a pattern - Highland Slippers - and dug around in the stash and came up with some ancient Patons Up Country. (anyone remember that stuff?) I grabbed a ziploc bag of natural coloured alpaca roving and went at it.
 
Totally done from stash, as I even had to slipper soles!
One thing about this pattern - it's not well written. Especially since I paid for it. I expect a little better than "try to maintain thrum pattern as best as possible through heel construction" (or something like that...) Plus, since you have to do the heel flap back and forth rather than in the round, I would have appreciated instructions on how to thrum on a purl row, as there is a trick (purling through back of loop). I figured it out, but I've been knitting for decades and can see how it should be. New knitters would not enjoy this. It is also quite baggy around the ankle, and while I had slipper soles that fit me feel, I didn't take into account the fact that there would be a lot of extra wool and alpaca on the soles, so these don't quite fit my feet. Not a big issue, as I can give them to someone with the right size feet (I'm thinking a friend from the cottage...). I do plan on making myself some slippers like this - I like the boot style, but as I am a girl that wears flip flops 9 months of the year, I don't really like super warn slippers, So I'm thinking just plain knit (without the thrums) and a bit of ankle shaping. We'll see...

2 comments :

  1. Thrum fun you've been having. The other day on ravelry I saw a hat that was thrummed - sort of. She just knit and standed the fleece instead of making gazillions of thrumbs. That's one I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very spiffy!

    I like how you showed different styles.

    ReplyDelete