Thursday, 6 December 2012

Christmas Sock Knitting

You want to know the coolest thing about these 8 pairs of socks?
They were all knit during "found time". Drive time to work or the cottage, waiting in waiting rooms, waiting in line, watching my son's activities. That time that non-knitters forget about when they look at you and say "I would love to knit, but I just don't have the time!".
The only part of these socks that I knit during "knitting time" are the heels. (I do an afterthought heel.) Right now I'm thick into heels -putting them all in. I can do about two heels a night, sometimes a little less than that.
And if you think 8 pairs of socks doesn't seem like much for a year of found time (I was actually surprised there weren't more...) I remembered that I did other knitting during those times - hats and other straight stuff (sweater bodies, etc.)
Here's three that already have the heels in:
(from top to bottom: Noro mismatched socks for my dancer nephew, alpaca socks for my father in law, and Cascade silk hand paint for my boss)

And the five that are still waiting:

(from left to right - Tofutsies for my Mom, Tanis cashmere for my brother's youngest son, Cascade silk hand paint for a friend, tofutsies for the boy's teacher (in school colours,no less!), and across the top, Bamboo stretch - destination unknown at this time, although it's looking good for my own sock drawer...)
Not a bad use of time!

4 comments :

  1. I wish I had more found time!

    Look at your pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, it's amazing how much found time us knitters have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that heel just the perfect thing?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Gosh. The quantity of your Christmas knits makes me feel as if I have never picked up my needles. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete